Thursday 13 October 2016

Moulds McCoy reappear again

A year and a half I was contacted by a man from Pembrokeshire, who planned to resurrect the McCoy and McIvoy cars. This is what he wrote: "Hi Jeroen. I am writing to you as you have a passion for all things Mini, as do I, and with this in mind I would like to inform you that I have recently purchased the moulds and rights to the McCoy and McIvoy kit cars. As well as the moulds I have a rolling shell which I believe to be an original Birchall shell, with which I plan to produce a car suitable for hillclimbing and sprinting, which I will hopefully be able to sell in small numbers to then give me the money to repair and modify the original moulds to produce a road going versions of the McCoy and McIvoy again. The moulds will need some modification for the car to be able to pass the dreaded IVA so it can be sold in kit and completed form. I am in talks with a company willing to take this on and am waiting for quotes for the work required. As you can appreciate I do not want to go off ‘Half cocked' so with this in mind I would ask you not to publicise this just yet , but when I have the car in a semi ready state, I will happily send you more information and photos for your blog"

So far, so good. But nothing came from it, until regular reader Barry Tilbury dropped me a line last week. A very short one this time, saying 'Oh Lordy. What have I done?' And, yes, he took over the full McCoy project. Well, what can I say other than congratulations Barry!?

The real McCoy: Rights, moulds and even the factory sign were taken over... once again
Picture courtesy Barry Tilbury


Originally from Norfolk they moved on to Pembrokeshire, Gloucestershire and now to Sussex
Picture courtesy Barry Tilbury

Barry is the latest keeper of the flame. He is not sure yet what to do with the project though
Picture courtesy Barry Tilbury

According to former McCoy employee Phil Wells the original prototype was sold to Neville Wynnes who made it race ready with narrower cockpit and wider sills, which can be seen here
Picture courtesy Barry Tilbury

6 comments:

  1. wow ive trid several times to buy the mccoy, last time on ebay about 2 years ago, (moulds were in Summerset then and im in Manchester) please keep us posted on progress, devastatoruk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. just one thing, are they the correct moulds? the ones i treid to buy consisted of,, a large amount of moulds which bolted togeather to make the main shell, 2 roof moulds 1 for the coupe one for the estate, 2 sets of front wing moulds, side skirts, front and back spoilers, 3 bonnet moulds, 2 sets of rear moulds and tailgate. boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the yellow estate pictured above in my possession, I wish to sell it if anyone is interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not above, different post. My bad. Car I have is the first estate produced. Reg Q516 HNG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello do you still have the estate id be interested in it ?

      Delete
    2. Hi, I do still have it and would like to sell ASAP.

      Delete